What is a demonologist? I guess that depends on who you ask. Technically speaking, a demonologist is one who studies demonology; the theological aspects of the existence of demons and devils, their capabilities, limitations, origins, and behaviors. Officially, the only TRUE demonologists are religious authorities who have been formally schooled in theology and have church backing and support… for dealing with preternatural spirits requires the utmost in faith, personal charisma, will-power and selfless desire to do well for others. Unfortunately, due to a combination of many things, people’s faith and belief in organized religion has dropped significantly. Because of this, many people feel justified in giving themselves the title of “Demonologist”. Here are some simple facts: Just because someone has experienced a negative, demonic or diabolical force does not mean they are a demonologist, just because someone reads about demons, devils, and the like, does not mean they are a demonologist. I personally believe that, regarding being a demonologist, you are either BORN to it or you will never be one… I believe you do not necessarily need to be an internal PART of an organized religion (ie Priest, Rabbi, Minister, etc.) to be a TRUE demonologist, you’re born one.
A demonologist should be fully familiar with the processes, rituals, and practices of satanic cults, true satanists, witchcraft (White, Gray, and Black), Wicca, Voodoo, Santeria, and the various other forms of religious denominations and occult sects. They should also, like a criminal profiler, fully understand the mindset, ideals and goals to best be able to provide assistance.
As the victim looking for help of this nature, you should be extremely wary of people claiming to be demonologists. I’ve worked with many people who are VERY intelligent in this line of work but when it comes to resolving issues dealing with extreme negative forces, that’s when a person proves themselves. It all comes to bringing closure to the victim family or individual.
Demonology is a lifestyle, not a hobby. Once a person starts down the road of demonology or being a demonologist, their lives are never the same. Because of the very nature of what they deal with, they become as much, and more, the target of attack as the victim. BUT a demonologist knows when to say when. A true demonologist knows his/her limits and when it’s time to call in reinforcements, so to speak. Don’t be fooled by the person who claims they can, themselves, provide full closure in a serious, demonic or diabolical infestation, or perform an exorcism. In many circumstances, without actual church intervention, there is only so much a demonologist can do. Here are some roles and responsibilities of a demonologist, in modern times, and their limitations:
- A demonologist is responsible for determining the validity of a claim. They must first determine whether or not alleged activity is truly unnatural in origin.
- If the activity is determined to be unnatural in nature, they must then determine whether or not the activity is caused by human or inhuman spirits. That determination will further direct a course of action.
- Regardless of what is causing the activity, the demonologist must ALWAYS determine how the activity is affecting the individuals concerned and be willing to often act as a personal or family counselor if necessary.
- If it is determined that activity is cause by an inhuman spirit, or preternatural force, the demonologist must then determine what level of force it is (ie demonic, diabolical and which sublevels within each). It must be noted here that true demonic or diabolical cases are relatively rare, many people confuse mischievous human spirits, negative human spirits and elemental spirits as demonic or diabolical spirits. There is a distinct difference.
- Once a detailed determination as to the true nature of a spirit is achieved, the demonologist must, before and after, determine what, why and how it came to be. This is an important step, this is where the background of the individuals concerned comes into play. What caused this to happen?… only when the actual root of the problem is determined can a demonologist figure out how to rectify the crisis.
- The steps toward resolution is where many people make mistakes. Too many people over-step their bounds or abilities and find themselves and the families in more a crisis than what they originally started with. There are a few things the demonologist can do at this point, they can perform a “layman’s” blessing of the house using holy water, commanding the spirit, in the name of Jesus Christ to leave… the victims can also do this themselves, whenever they feel threatened. Normally though, the blessing is not a resolution, it’s more of an immediate crisis solution; when activity is getting very highly threatening and destructive. The demonologist can also, with the help of a trained assistant, perform what is called a “suffimunigation” of the dwelling. Suffimunigation is the cleansing of a house using High Church Incense, bees wax candles, bells, and specific prayers. The suffimunigation is similar to what’s termed “Smudging” using sage (which is most effective on human spirits, in theory) and is the demonologist’s best chance of cleansing a house of negative spirits without direct church intervention. There is also a few other methods a demonologist can use, if they feel comfortable, to reverse spells and curses brought on by black magicians, satanists, warlords, etc… I will not cover these aspects.
- If suffimunigation proves ineffective, the demonologist’s role turns from direct intervener to mediator with the church. At that point in time, the demonologist should recommend to the family or individual involved that they seek assistance from the church and becomes the church’s point of contact as witness, advisor and assistant. The church can, if willing, do many things to assist the family, usually in this particular order: bless the dwelling and persons/animals involved, gather a mass prayer group, perform a mass in the house, perform a high mass in the house, or in worse case scenario, perform an exorcism. A “lay” demonologist CANNOT do any of these functions themselves. I’ve encountered several investigators who believe they can do themselves what only the church can do, it is a waste of everyone’s time and is extremely dangerous to all persons involved due to probable retaliation by what entities are in the house.
- The demonologist must always rationally decipher events taking place, looking for the strategy behind the activity, to better determine the causes and solutions. Unfortunately, the demonologist is always at a disadvantage because he is only human, learning from experience, but what he typically is battling with has the wisdom of ages, millenniums of knowledge. But like any good strategist he should always be looking two steps ahead in an attempt to block a move before it happens.
- The demonologist’s role is not nearly over though. Depending on the outcome of whatever church intervention took place, the demonologist must complete the closure. If the church intervention was not successful, they must continue their dialog with the church in determining the next step towards closure.. continuing until success is achieved. When church intervention or suffimunigation IS successful, the demonologist must counsel the individuals concerned on how to maintain that newly found peace; what behaviors to change, how to finalize and bring total closure to the crisis because once a victim encounters attacks of preternatural nature, they a very susceptible to future attack and the demonologist must instruct the people on how to best minimize this possibility.